Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Still getting stronger.


Back in 2010 when I tried back squatting 255 five times Jerry told me that that my issues stemmed from problems with my core muscles.  That was definitely true, as I had very weak abs and way too tight  hip flexors.  Anyway, my point is that back in the day what was preventing me from squatting heavier was my core, not my legs.  Yesterday, when I squatted 265 five times for three sets, I didn’t really feel the struggle in my torso.  I felt it in my legs.  Struggling with my legs I can handle, pushing through that is a lot easier for me.  I think the reason behind the improvement is the fact that I squat 3 times a week, and with heavy but not too heavy weight.  I think that reset a while back when I failed to squat 240 was key, that allowed me to work heavy but light enough that I could work on technique/my core.

One of my hip flexors, I think the either the Rectus Femoris or the Sartorius, is getting sore to the touch now that I’m really starting to push my legs. I think I'm timing it great seeing Dr. Huaser next week, as by then I'll be squatting 285, and I feel like that's about as far as my hip will take me.

First let me say that I really enjoyed my time at Crossfit Durham. The guys there were cool and it is because of coach Ryan that I learned about starting strength programming as well as some of 531.  I really enjoyed the guys there too.  I was definitely the weakest, I was squatting 145 while others were lifting 185, but all were really nice to me.  All that said, I’m very glad that I left Crossfit Durham. It's just I can do this program on my own and in the process save $160 a month.  The Duke gym is only $130 for the year. Quite the bargain.  I do miss those guys though, all of them were really cool. However, right now I need to save all the money I can, and not going to a crossfit gym is an easy way to put $2k a year in my pocket. …I also have stopped seeing a massage therapist as well as chiropractor.  All the pain I am currently experiencing is related to the hip, and hopefully that will be resolved in about six weeks’ time, I hope.

No comments: