Friday, September 21, 2012

Intermittent Fasting report

So far it's been about a month since I've started the IF regimen.  I don't think I've eaten outside of an eight hour eating window since I started, but my eating choices have definitely been suspect.  Part of it is I find myself adopting the mentality of a powerlifter, where all food is good food. That mentality partially comes from me trying to get in 200g of protein a day.  Part of it is trying to get some more carbs in with that protein right after my workout to help with muscle growth.  It allows me to give myself the green light to eat things like frozen yogurt after a heavy squat day.

The thing is, this is not helping me get a six pack.  When I don't try to cram 200g of protein into my mouth and eat clean I can see dramatic results in my abs in a couple of days.  But then I start thinking that I'm going to get puny and weak.  So what I need to do is figure out some nice clean meals that are packed with protein.  One of my new favorite meals is swordfish.  I can easily eat a pound of the stuff, and that's about 90g of protein right there.  Add in some sweet potatoes and boom there ya go. I just haven't had the opportunity to eat that yet, at least not as a post workout meal.

So basically I just need to get my shit together.  I will be eating Swordfish, Tuna, and sweet potatoes after workouts.  Lean gains protocol is to have like 60% of your daily calories post workout (if you're working out later in the day) and like 80% of it on the first meal of the day on rest days.  I will focus on these big meals, and I'll eat the small meals whenever I'm hungry (have been trying to force these a little in an effort to get the protein).

...I think one reason the eight hour feeding window is effective is that it naturally restricts your calories, however since I'm trying to get in 200g of protein I think you'd be surprised at how much I can eat in one sitting, probably one reason why I was a chubby child growing up.

Anyway, despite my frozen yogurt and other unhealthy things I've eaten this week, I'd say that I am definitely leaning out and am starting to see four-pack.  ...It's kind of sad because I know in quite a few forums having a four-pack will grant me newb status.

Anywho, I'm now going to go a whole week without pizza, cheeseburger, or frozen yogurt.  ...It is strange because before going IF I would go weeks without breaking paleo, but now that I'm doing IF I feel like I can now eat whatever I like.  However, that doesn't seem possible for me.  Regardless, I am seeing gains, and can't wait to actually have a real, honest to God six-pack.

No comments: