Friday, October 15, 2010

Second class: Pull ups

So yesterday was the second class for Project Virtuosity. There was a very large turn out on this, had eleven people, more than those signed up for the regular wod. Because of the size I made sure everyone had a partner, so I only had to monitor 5 people at a time.

We worked on pull ups, going through all of the progressions, working on the movement of the feet, then adding in the knees, then working the kip on the floor, and then adding it all together. I pointed out the difference between the C-grip and the suicide grip, which I learned about two years ago. Gosh that makes me feel old. Anyways, I didn't have the fear of always presenting new material for the sake of entertainment like last week. I realized it's ok for people to try the movement for a little bit, rest and chat, and then get back on the bar.

I had people work on unassisted pull ups before introducing the band. I figured the band can make things a little more complicated, so to add it in after everything else. don't think I had anyone reach a milestone. At least, no one mentioned it to me. Regardless, I think people appreciated the practice.

I also set everyone aside and taught some about hand maintenance. Because this was more of a lecture, people def seemed less interested. Hopefully if they do tear they'll know what to do, and how to prevent it.

We only had like 5 minutes to work on GHD as scheduled, I just explained the set up and let some people try it out. I think a lot of people had pretty much checked out though.

There was one instance where I don't think I acted very professionally by strutting my stuff a bit during a demo. When I was demonstrating how everything works together, I was easily hitting chest to bar. I was excited, so I decided to see how high I could get. Turns out I can get stomach to the bar with ease. Like it was fun, it wasn't work, and I felt like I could do it for a long time. It didn't feel like I was working my shoulders or anything, and I could really find my rhythm. Anyways, looking back I don't want to come off as that asshole that's like "look at me and how awesome I am." Especially in a coach capacity. I hope I didn't come off that way.

But other then that, it was very uneventful, and I think that's a good thing. Can't wait for next week.

No comments: